- Health & Safety
- Environmental Information
- Gas Safety
- Process Safety
- Product Fact Sheets
- REACH Legislation
- Safety Data Sheets
- Safety Services
- Workplace Safety
The correct way to inflate balloons
To avoid wasting balloon gas (helium), or rupturing balloons due to overfilling, you should always ensure that you:
- have the right filling kit for the type of balloons you are inflating
- only fill the balloon with enough gas to achieve the correct size
- minimise the release of gas when connecting or removing the filling kit, or between balloon inflations
- securely tie inflated balloons which do not have an integral 'Pro-lite' plastic valve.
Balloon gas is safe but you should never deliberately inhale the gas as it is an asphyxiant.
The gas is stored under high pressure in heavy, robust cylinders. The cylinders need to be stored in a safe area and handled with great care to avoid potential accidents and personal injury.