- Water & Wastewater Treatment Processes
- Petrochemical Processing & Refining
- Pharma & Biotechnology Processes
- Process Chemistry
- Manufacturing Processes
- CRYOCLEAN CO2 Cleaning Solutions
- Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Processes
- Food Freezing and Chilling
- Inerting, Purging & Blanketing
- Controlled & Modified Atmospheres
- Double Glazing
- Glass Processing
- Heat Treatment
- Plastic & Rubber Processing
- Cryobank Cryogenic Biostorage
- Hydrogen Refuelling
Plastic foaming processes often rely on conventional foaming agents such as HCFCs, HFCs or hydrocarbons. Many manufacturers are looking to replace these agents, however, due to their high global warming potential (GWP) and ozone depletion potential (ODP).
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is an excellent, well-established alternative to these harmful agents. It is an ideal physical blowing agent for foamed polymers such as building insulation (XPS boards) and packaging (high density PE foams). It combines low GWP and zero ODP with good plastics compatibility. In addition, the use of CO2 offers considerable cost benefits.
Exact metering of liquid carbon dioxide (LIC) plays a key role in the quality of the foamed product. Achieving this can be challenging, however, particularly given counter-pressure variations in polymer extruders. We have developed sophisticated solutions designed specifically to meet the metering challenges of liquid carbon dioxide in extrusion foaming and polyurethane foaming processes.
BOC provides PLASTINUMTM Foam to maximise the benefits of using liquid carbon dioxide metering systems for efficient and effective extrusion foaming.